Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Day 1 Travel

I have wanted to write this down for days now but have struggled to find the energy to do so.  Jedidiah had his first nights sleep last night so I think my mind is ready for this...or not, we shall find out.

I have become very aware that I am not the best communicator.  Both my written and verbal expression are any thing but poetic and sometimes I feel like I am no longer capable of using big words. (Being a stay at home mom can rob you of such things;)  Nonetheless I find writing helps me process experiences better and release feelings I have been holding on to.  I find freedom in getting the information stored in my head out.  All this to say that I may never fully be able to convey the depth of all that took place in Hong Kong, with it's roller coaster of emotions and all the experiences we had while there, but I will write it down anyway.  I want these memories saved for later when ten years down the road I want to remember those precious details we may have forgotten.  So with all that said here we go...

Our journey started June 30, 2011 when we said good-bye to the girls at 9:30am and headed to the airport. (Mia thanks again for the ride-that was a huge blessing! And it was nice to catch up a little too!)  We arrived four hours early and were checked in and ready to board with three hours to spare.  Josh and I walked around the airport for a while just to get some exercise and tire out our legs since we would be sitting for close to 16 hours.



Once on the plane I looked at Josh and we both felt it, the reality that we were finally on our way to get our son.  It was really happening, wow!  The flight was loooooong and I will leave it at that.  Once we landed in Hong Kong, after a short stop and plane change in Taipei, everything just seemed to flow.  We arrived at 11:30pm so no one was able to pick us up so we just took things step by step and before we knew it we were in a taxi on our way to the hotel.  Let's talk about this taxi ride for a second.  First it was very startling when your driver is on the wrong side of the road and you find out that is the right side after all.  This taxi driver drove like we were in a pin ball machine driving quickly and not slowing much for curves yet we never hit anything.  This man should be a race car driver, really!


The other thing that shocked us about this ride too was it only cost $7.00!  Half a mile will cost you that in the US.

After gathering our luggage we checked in to The Kimberly Hotel, unpacked and went to sleep.

Tomorrow would be Monday and we would be on our own to tour this place our son called home.


1 comment:

  1. Exciting! Thanks for updating. I love reading about gotcha trips during our wait. I hope you are all adjusting well!

    Chelsea (from HK yahoo group)

    ReplyDelete